Monday 22 February 2016

A Miserable Attempt at Reading Classic Book.3.Les Misérables

Image Credits: http://cdn.pastemagazine.com
You know the rush you get when your initial attempts towards achieving a goal are successful? Well, I experienced this feeling when I got the pleasure of reading Alice in Wonderland and Pride and Prejudice. I was on cloud 9 and decided that it was time to pick a book that has always felt intriguing to me. Thus, started my miserable attempt at reading Les Misérables. I cannot dare say any negative words about the book because it consists of the most profound insight into the world. I could read only one story about a bishop  and his life, which was one of several other anecdotes of book.1. This is one of those books that intimidate me with their heavy weight. I could have avoided the volume of the book if it weren't for a too detailed description of the life, room, people, situations, expressions, character, and what not! I did not have enough patience to finish the book, and I dozed off several times -- which may exhibit my immaturity or lack of perseverance, and I am in no way proud of it. 

Although I was having a hard time reading this book, I cannot turn my eyes from the depth of the book. Victor Hugo's intention of preaching the world the power of spreading joy among the poor, women, and children is very powerfully expressed by writing about some of the greatest people of the history. Their dedication towards helping other knew no bounds. While skim reading, I managed to notice the noble cause that this book served. The thickness of the book may have terrified me, but I cannot decline my soul of the wonderful lessons compiled in it. Therefore, this is my resolution that I will pick this book once again in my life -- not today, though -- and finish it until the end. That day will mark the beginning of a new "Me."

Despite feeling overwhelmed with the content and extra descriptive narration of the book, I understood one simple fact that this book is very powerful and enriching. It has a life-changing lesson of helping the downtrodden with everything that you've in your possession. The bishop of chapter.1. lived a life ridden of any worldly pleasures, and yet, encouraged the rich to provide for the poor of the society. He went above and beyond -- in his capacity -- and inspired many people in whichever possible way. His preachings and actions were in sync and that is what makes his life worth following. 

The profundity of the book cannot be disregarded. I could not complete the book, but one day I'll come back to this same book. I cannot insist enough on the fact that my failed attempt at finishing the book has no reflection on the wisdom, quality, and significance of the book; this only reflects on me not being prepared enough to embrace the beauty of this book, at least now.

#LMMLinkup

8 comments:

  1. I made a miserable attempt of reading War and Peace once. I have vowed to go back and reread to the finish too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I know which book I won't pick up anytime soon!

      Delete
  2. I can understand the feeling.. it's ok to leave the book which you are not prepared for... I had the same feeling when I had got a chance to pick 'A suitable boy' ... I have watched the movie 'Les Miserables'.. the only lyrical movie i have ever watched... and i loved it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd try the movie, too! I feel so miserable that I had to put down an acclaimed book without finishing it.

      Delete
  3. Can I confess that I haven't even tried to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please whenever you give it a shot, let me know your experience. Probably, that will give me enough courage to attempt once more.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read this book. Might watch the play based on it though. I'll remember to come back and share about what I thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen the movie but I haven't read the book.

    ReplyDelete