Wednesday 13 April 2016

French Verb of Day.11 of Blogging A to Z Challenge -Kiffer!



Salut mes amis!
The verb of the day is kiffer. I tried writing this post in the same format as the other posts of this series; however, I failed to find appearance of this verb in any textbook, song or proverb. Therefore, those sections are missing from this post. Again, if you find any correction, please do not hesitate to point out. I am a French language learner, not a teacher. I'd appreciate the courteous and constructive feedback." I have divided the post into these main sections:

  • Pronunciation Link
  • Meaning of this Verb
  • Conjugation of the verb in different tenses and moods
  • Commonly used phrases with this verb
Now, let's have a crush on the verb of the day," Kiffer!"

Pronunciation Link

To know the correct pronunciation of this verb, click here.

Meaning of the Verb

After a lot of browsing and researching, I found out that "Kiffer" verb is used in the context of liking something, having a crush on someone, or loving someone. This verb is widely assumed a modern verb, which is being used by the young French crowd; however, there are a few posts on the internet that contradict this assumption. Whatever may the reality be, this verb is considered a slang.
Conjugation of this verb in various tenses and moods

1. Indicatif – Generally, Indicatif is used to state facts.
    1. Présent – It is similar to Present tense of English. We use this form to express facts, conditions, habits, and routine. 
The sample sentences, as per my knowledge, could be:
I write whenever I can.
You don't like drama.
We love reading books.
They have money, but they do not have a heart.

Je kiffe
(Subject) like(s) or is/are/am liking
Tu kiffes
Il kiffe
Nous kiffons
Vous kiffez
Ils kiffent
    1. Passé Composé – It resonates with Present Perfect and Past forms of English language. This form is utilized to a talk about the actions that were completed in the past, and we wish to draw the attention towards its results.
I went to get a manicure in the morning.
He did not go to the office today.
I did not have the courage at that moment.
J’ai kiffé
(Subject) liked, I have liked
Tu as kiffé
Il a kiffé
Nous avons kiffé
Vous avez kiffé
Ils ont kiffé
    1. Imparfait – Imparfait form is used to write about description, habit, and actions that occurred simultaneously in the past.
It was a beautiful day.
He was having a rough day.
I used to ride a bicycle in the rain.
Je kiffais
(Subject) was liking/ used to like
Tu kiffais
Il kiffait
Nous kiffions
Vous kiffiez
Ils kiffaient
    1. Plus-que-parfait – This is the French version of “Past perfect” of English language. If you are narrating an incident that occurred in the past, and I you wish to include a detail that happened even before the time of that incident, you use plus-que-parfait form.
I had studied a lot before I could get a job.
He had practiced his speech in front of the mirror before he went in front of a huge audience.
J’avais kiffé
(Subject) had liked
Tu avais kiffé
Il avait kiffé
Nous avions kiffé
Vous aviez kiffé
Ils avaient kiffé
    1. Passé simple – Similar to Passé Composé, Passé simple is used to describe completed actions in the past and the actions that were interrupted in the past. Being same as Passé Composé, its examples are similar to Passé Composé.
Last year, I went to Bali.
While I was in Bali, I admired nature for hours.
Je kiffai
(Subject) liked
Tu kiffas
Il kiffa
Nous kiffâmes
Vous kiffâtes
Ils kiffèrent
    1. Passé antérieur – This is same as Past Perfect of English language. This form is mostly used in literature.
As soon as I was in the library, I decided to issue the book “Pride and Prejudice.”
After my grandfather had worked for sixty years, he started gardening.
J’eus kiffé
(Subject) had liked
Tu eus kiffé
Il eut kiffé
Nous eûmes kiffé
Vous eûtes kiffé
Ils eurent kiffé
    1. Futur – Futur is same as Future tense of English language. This form comes into picture when we are either expressing an intended action in the future or making an assumption in both present and future. Also, it may be used to make a polite request.
Tomorrow, I will write a song.
You will never write a song.
Would Irine help me with the song?
If you ask her, you will know.
Je kifferai
(Subject) will like
Tu kifferas
Il kiffera
Nous kifferons
Vous kifferez
Ils kifferont
    1. Futur antérieur – Remember future perfect tense? Futur antérieur is its brother :) When you are imagining or considering something to happen in the future or something that might have happened in the past, you use this form.
He'll probably have had three boxes of cereal or he had drank three cartons of milk. (I know it's a stupid sentence, but I couldn't think of something else.)
By the time we'll reach, they will have hidden the evidence. (Crime investigation drama kicking in!)
J’aurai kiffé
(Subject) will have liked
Tu auras kiffé
Il aura kiffé
Nous aurons kiffé
Vous aurez kiffé
Ils auront kiffé
    1. Future proche – Future Proche form is used to describe an event or action that is either definite to occur in a short while or planned to happen in the future.
I am going to get a laptop in two minutes. (I'm not :( )
My sister is getting ready in a minute.
Je vais kiffer
(Subject) is/are/am liking/about to like
Tu vas kiffer
Il va kiffer
Nous allons kiffer
Vous allez kiffer
Ils vont kiffer
    1. Conditionnel – This mood is used to express statements of possibility and condition.
      1. Présent – If we wish to express a possibility about present or future from a past point of view, then this would be my choice of sentence form.
I would like to be an author, someday.
Drashti thought that she might go on a vacation to Paris.
If she went to Paris, she could become a model.
Arun, could you stop teasing me?
Je kifferais
(Subject) would like
Tu kifferais
Il kifferait
Nous kifferions
Vous kifferiez
Ils kifferaient
    1. Passé – Imagine that you are telling about an incident that happened in the past, where you expressed a possibility, then this is the form you need to be using. Of course, it is confusing, but don't worry. Hopefully, sample sentences will help in making it understandable.
If I had gone with you, I would have scolded him.
My grandfather would have sorted our problems if we had asked him.
*Tip – Use Conditionnel Passé in that part of the sentence that indicates a result of the action.
J’aurais kiffé
(Subject) would have liked
Tu aurais kiffé
Il aurait kiffé
Nous aurions kiffé
Vous auriez kiffé
Ils auraient kiffé
    1. Passé - forme alternative – This form is used in literary formats of writing. Not my cup of tea! The same thought can be expressed by using above form.
J’eusse kiffé
(Subject) would have liked
Tu eusses kiffé
Il eût kiffé
Nous eussions kiffé
Vous eussiez kiffé
Ils eussent kiffé
    1. Subjonctif – This mood of expressions focuses on various emotions, such as doubt, a fear, subjectivity, hope.
      1. Présent the – If the main part of the sentence is in present form, then the part after que, expressing emotions, will be in subjonctif présent form. Confused? Well, hopefully, sample sentences will clear the air.
It is important to me that my family eats dinner together.
I am happy that my readers like my blog.
que je kiffe
that (Subject) like or is/are/am liking
que tu kiffes
qu’il kiffe
que nous kiffions
que vous kiffiez
qu’ils kiffent
    1. Imparfait –If the main part of the sentence is in past form, then the part after que, expressing emotions, will be in subjonctif imparfait form. However, this form is used in literary docs. For ordinary usage, subjonctif passé is our guy.
que je kiffasse
that (Subject) liked or that (Subject) was/were liking
que tu kiffasses
qu’il kiffât
que nous kiffassions
que vous kiffassiez
qu’ils kiffassent
    1. Plus-que-parfait – Again, this form is also used in literary documents.

que j’ eusse kiffé
(Subject) would like or liked
que tu eusses kiffé
qu’il eût kiffé
que nous eussions kiffé
que vous eussiez kiffé
qu’ils eussent kiffé
    1. Passé – If main part of the sentence is in past form, then the part after que, expressing emotions, will be in subjonctif passé form. Other than this, if we are expressing emotions about somebody's past, then too, we use this form.
I had wished that he would succeed in his hunt for a decent job.
He is afraid that he received love from everybody only for his money.
que j’aie kiffé
that (Subject) liked or that (Subject) was liking
que tu aies kiffé
qu’il ait kiffé
que nous ayons kiffé
que vous ayez kiffé
qu’ils aient kiffé
    1. Impératif – This mood is utilized to give orders.
      1. Présent – There is nothing to explain here. This form is utilized in giving orders.
Take me to the mall!
Drive me to the airport!
Sit with me!
Don't talk to me!


kiffe
Like!
kiffons
Let's like!
kiffez
Like!


Commonly used phrases with this verb

A few commonly used phrases that utilize “kiffer” are as follows:
Je kiffe grave – I am so into
Je kiffe sur – I have a crush on

Source Credit: http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/kiffer.248120/

2 comments:

  1. I'm kind of loving your theme for the challenge! I speak french but some of these are even new to me. :) Great job!

    Chelsea @ Books for Thought

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chelsea! Please don't hesitate if (or when) you find any correction :)

      Delete